selling customers

Maxpiano@aol.com Maxpiano@aol.com
Sun, 7 Jun 1998 04:29:06 EDT

Les,

My experience is like yours.  Several of us refer customers to one another
when we cannot get them worked in by the time needed, they are located within
an area one of us serves regularly, or one of us specializes in the particular
type of work.  No record is kept for payback, no fee expected, and yet we each
benefit from the (lack of) arrangement.  That is, I hope that each of the
others has profited from customers I have referred to them as much as I have
from the work passed on to me!

If I were in your place, I think I would pass up the offer.  I have never
established a policy of giving a "finder's fee" for work referred.  Work done
right for a reasonable fee (with no percentage added for the "finder") is a
bargain in my estimation and benefits the "finder" in enhancing his reputation
for integrity.

One note about establishing a policy:  I learned long ago that "what you do
establishes policy."

Bill Maxim, RPT
Simpsonville, SC

<< I have, heretofore, had three or four local techs refer to me,  and never
was a "reward" expected. >>