restringing a Broadwood Boudoir grand

Wim en Debby wim.debby@village.uunet.be
Sun, 07 Jun 1998 19:05:48 +0200

Hi Barrie,
thnx for your reaction. So the idea of drilling out the holes was not
that bad after all:)
Best regard,
Wim

Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1998 22:20:44 +0100
From: Barrie Heaton <Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk>
Subject: Re: restringing a Broadwood Boudoir grand

First of all welcome to the list  Wim,

There are several ways to approach this problem.

Some may say walk away is one. However, I hardly think that's what you
want to do.  For the odd loose one, I have used PTFA tape this is what
plumbers use for a water tight seal.  You remove the pin and wrap some
tape around the pin turn the pin in then turn it out two and a half
times put the string through the eye and wind up and coil.

I recently tried some CA glue again I removed the pin and dipped the pin

in to an open bottle of CA glue tapped it on a piece of paper To remove
the excess glue and waited for the glue to dry.  Follow the above
approach for putting the string on.  The glue puts a fine film over the
threads, it was a bit of a sod to get going at first but once in, it was

tight.

Both the above methods I wouldn't recommend for a full piano two time
consuming and two inconsistent for an overall neat job, but ok. for odd
pins.

The best method is to drill out existing holes and fill with a good
quality epoxy resin,  re-drill for double 00 pins and put two sizes up
back in, you will have a very tight tuning pin, they don't seem to turn
that bad.  I personally have only one this way last
year, after reading about  using epoxy resin on this very list. I was
 happy with the results.

Kind regards,

Barrie.