pianotech-digest V1997 #873

james turner JTTUNER@webtv.net
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 00:49:24 -0500

For Roger Jolly,

Your explanation of lanolin in old cold pressed hammers is very
interesting.  Are there any hammers being made today that still have the
lanolin in them and not "baked" out?  I would be interested in knowing
what brands you personally like to use?  I have not been real happy with
many of the brands available today until I tryed a set of Wally Brook's
Able Encore lights.  So far, these have been the best I have used.

One more question.  Whenever I hear a piano played in an old movie on
TV, most of them seem to have a beautiful, singing tone quality I to
often.  Of course, this is TV.  Am I all wet here or is there something
to this, perhaps the lanolin in these early hammers?

Thanks

Jim Turner