Cold Press Hammers

Mon, 08 Jun 1998 10:42:56 -0700

Roger Jolly wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>        Like you I am mainly using Abel's, I like the consistency. I believe
> that Ronsons and Issac's are the only quality cold pressed hammers, but the
> density seems to be all over the map.

------------------------------------------------------------Roger, et al,

I read this sentiment quite a lot. Often the implication is that there is
something inherently inconsistent with the cold press process. Not at all. The
lack of consistency that you find is not an unavoidable side effect of the cold
press process. It is the result of poor -- or at least inadequate -- controls
over the process. Some thoughts that come to mind are:

    1)    Inconsistent felt thickness or density. These days this should not be
much of a problem. Felt manufacturers are able to hold the sheet tolerances to a
reasonably close dimension.

    2)    Inconsistent cutting. This is very possible. Especially in small shops
this is done largely by hand, or at least with hand operated cutters. In the
hammer shops I've been in -- both large and small -- this is usually done
incorrectly anyway.

    3)    Inconsistent press pressures. This is the most likely candidate. On
hand operated presses, the pressure depends on the torque applied to the screws.
What condition are they in? When were they last lubricated? How much sleep did
the press operator get last night? Etc.

    4)    Poor press adjustment. Are the vertical ram stops carefully adjusted?
Are the side caul stops properly adjusted? Etc.

    5)    Inconsistent caul shape. This is another likely candidate. If wood
cauls are being used, variations are inevitable. As cauls wear, the shape of the
hammer will change slightly. What material is the caul made from? Different
materials have different friction characteristics.

    6)    Inadequate control of the moisture content of the felt when it was
pressed. Is the felt stored in a controlled humidity chamber? Or is it stored in
open air?

There are other factors that can affect the density and elasticity equation
also. I'm sure I've left out quite a few small details. But you get the idea...

Cold press hammers can have a density and shape that is just as consistent as
that found on any hot pressed hammer. It does require some diligence on the part
of the press operator.

Regards,

Del