Mover's reference (was: shipping)

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Mon, 08 Jun 1998 18:14:12 -0400

At 08:54 PM 6/7/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Can anyone tell me about how much it would cost to ship a piano (6'4"
>grand) from Dallas, TX to Maryland?

Jerry, you didn't say where in Maryland, but the quick answer is between
$500~600.

LIST...
I present the following, suitable for saving if not for framing. The
information could come in handy as another resource for all of us.

Below is a letter from Schafer Bros. Piano Movers, Inc. in Carson, CA. Note
piano, not furniture movers. I can attest to their efficiency and integrity in
handling high-quality instruments:

[begin (edited) letter]
Schafer Bros. has provided piano moving services in California, Arizona, and
Washington for 45 years.

Since we have been in the piano moving business for many years, we are
sensitive to prevailing market demands. Our in-house sales and marketing team,
coupled with valuable input from you, realized the necessity for us to take
our
expertise =nationwide=. With that focus, we began planning, and set out with a
goal of having this "dream" come to fruition by June 1, 1997. We attained this
goal and have surpassed even our expectations!

Here are some of our visions that have become reality:
1) A new tractor and 48' trailer with custom specifications. The trailer
features  air-ride suspension, temperature control, lift gate, and easy access
side doors;
2) Two professional piano movers per truck;
3) Home deliveries and pickup;
4) An in-house staff specifically dedicated to our nationwide program
[accessible 24-hours a day, 7 days a week];
5) Regular on-time scheduling;
6) Very competitive rates.

I welcome the opportunity to discuss your piano's needs, provide rates, and
answer any questions you may have.

Michael May
Schafer Bros. Piano Movers, Inc.
800.222.2888 x214
310.830.3362 fax
[end letter]

A search will also find a web presence for Schafer Bros., but since I couldn't
gain access, I assume it's not ready, so did not include the http address
here.

Jim Harvey, RPT
harvey@greenwood.net
Greenwood (n): the largest city in South Carolina WITHOUT an Interstate