SAT & RCT

dpitsch dpitsch@ix.netcom.com
Mon, 08 Jun 1998 20:39:53 -0600

Jim, a machine that "samples every note" would have to listen to all the
partials of two notes played simultaneously and then make a computation what
should sound the best in order to equal the human ear.  Obviously, there is
no such machine available, and I personally don't think aural tuners will
ever get put out of business.  It is no coincidence that machines such as
SAT & RCT are considered "electronic tuning aides".  We still do the tuning,
or at least, in my opinion, we are still suppose to do the tuning based upon
the feedback from our ears combined if we wish with the feedback from a
machine.  Every single piano we work on requires a customized tuning, and it
is our job as piano tuners to find the best customized tuning for each and
every piano out there.  (end of soap box)