SAT & RCT- defense of Virgil

Tue, 9 Jun 1998 08:30:40 -0500

At 08:29 6/9/98 EDT, you wrote:

>In a message dated 6/9/98 1:06:42 AM, dpitsch@ix.netcom.com wrote:
>
><<"Virgil was not able to communicate with me...
><<"I also remember he used some weird aural tests,...

I also have had my disagreements with Virgil.  Some time ago (10-12yrs?), I
had a series of letters-to-the-editor disputing some of his claims.  I still
disagree with him, unless _he's_ changed his mind in the interim.

But...  sez Jim...

>  I am proud to be "tooner" if being so puts me in company with such world
>class "tooners" as Virgil and Jim C. Sr.
>Jim Bryant (FL)

I don't care what checks he uses, how he mutes the piano, what hammer
technique or whether he thumps or not.  The results speak for themselves.
Isn't the goal of our profession to prepare instruments which are
"transparent", i.e. when we listen to an artist play, we hear the music, not
the piano?

You'll not find many "tooners" who present a finer piano, than does Virgil.

My 2¢.

Conrad

Conrad Hoffsommer		Office - (319) 387-1204
Luther College                         Music Dept Fax - (319) 387-1076
700 College Drive
Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045             hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu

Ignorance doesn't kill you, but it will make you sweat a lot. - Haitian proverb