selling customers

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Tue, 09 Jun 1998 09:21:52 -0400

Kenneth W. Burton wrote:
>         In my experience, the best way to do this, as long as you are
> dealing with a trustworthy person, is to hand over the list, let the new
> technician advertise himself as your "Associate" with your phone number so
> that your old customers can call you and confirm that this change is on
> the "up and up", then expect him to pay you for each customer who makes
> the change and uses his services.
>         I have paid as high as $15 per customer on this plan but I felt it
> was worthwhile since I did not have to pay for any "dead wood". This deal
> sounds good to me.

Fifteen dollars is about right if we're talking about referring maybe 50
clients.  But what if it's 500?  If you're serious about reaching full
employment in a year rather than a decade or two (many technicians never
reach full employment), paying a full tuning fee to the referring
technician would make good business sense, provided his clientel has
enough clients to significantly increase your income.  Remember there's
no red ink in this example.  You invest your time now and double or
triple your income within the year and into every future year.

Do the numbers.  What has been your annual net piano income for each of
the last five years?  What will be your annual net for the next 5 - 10
years adding the income from this new source of clients?

Remember that all of these new clients are repeat customers by
definition (once by you, at least once by him.)

I just thought of this . . . . . . a sliding pay scale. . . . . .the
first 50 @ $15, the second 50 @ $25, third 50 @$35, etc..

Carl