Kawai KG-6C

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Tue, 09 Jun 1998 18:33:03 -0500 (CDT)

Don,

   If I remember correctly, these only sound a step or so above the
speaking length pitch. Or maybe it was an octave and a step. The
closer the bars are to the speaking length, the higher the pitch. Is
this correct?
   Does anyone know how I could determine how these should be set?
   Thanks for the reply Don.

Getting confused, :-)
Avery

>In general, Kawai sets the aliquot bars so that they are tuned
>slightly sharp of some interval. The high treble bar in most models
>is set to 1 octave above the speaking length - but the KG-6C could be
>different.
>
>Before everyone asks why Kawai sets them a little sharp, the answer
>is I don't know. It's one of those questions I've never heard a
>definitive answer to. My guess is that sharp is better than flat for
>maintaining sustain, so the bars are set to make sure none of the
>notes will end up flat.  Even the EX pianos, in which the bars are
>hand placed, are tuned sharp.
>
>Don Mannino RPT

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music