SAT & RCT-Virgil

Billbrpt@aol.com Billbrpt@aol.com
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 20:28:53 EDT

In a message dated 6/9/98 12:11:38 AM Central Daylight Time,
 dpitsch@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< I used to live in Illinois, and I have a very distinct memory of driving up
 Chicago to hear Virgil do a concert tuning as part of the Chicago Chapter's
 monthly meeting.  I tried to carry on a conversation with Mr. Smith about the
 differences between 3/2 fifths and 6/4 fifths.  Virgil was not able to
 communicate with me, as he had no idea what I was talking about.  He just
 said
 that he tunes by fifths, and that was that!>>

This does not mean he does not know whatone should sound like.

<< I also remember he used some weird aural tests, like minor 3rds against
 minor
 3rds, testing a perfect fifth by minor3rd/major 3rd.  He did not seem to know
 about coincident partials, and what proper tests are using coincident
 partials.>>

This statement makes me wonder if YOU know.  I can assure you that this is a
 valid test to use and Virgil does know how to use it properly
.
<<  By the way, who choose Virgil to do this tuning comparison?  There
 are many better aural tuners who know what they are talking about.>>

I could not think of a better person to start the series of tune-offs with.
 He has been selected by the committee which is organizing the Temperament
 Festival in Providence to do the one piano which will be in ET.  I would  not
 want and FAC tuning for this event.  We wanted a strictly aura ltuner, the
 best we couldget. My personal recommendation to the committee was Virgil.  We
 are honored to have his contribution.

  <<Virgil's write up in the Journal some years back convinced everyone I
 talked to that he
 was so far out in left field, he didn't know how to describe to the PTG
 members how he really tunes pianos.>>

I agree that Virgil was unable to describe what he does using terms and
 explanations that fit contemporary understanding but his style of tuning and
 the consistency with which he does it can hardly be described as "far out in
 left field".  He is about as main stream as you can get.

 <<As to ETD, I still stick to my guns... (snip)>>

As for the rest of your statement, I agree with you 100%.  I NEVER use an FAC
 program!  You probably know that I tune exclusively Historical Temperaments.
 There are many technicians who do this by applying standard deviations from
 Owen Jorgensen's studies to an FAC program. I could not and would not ever
 trust this.  I use the SAT the way you describe, the direct interval method
 and to store an aurally satisfying tuning.

My experience as a CTE has taught me just how good an FAC program is.  The
 Examiners these days usually start with an FAC program and correct it by ear.
 It is always faulty albeit not terribly so.  An examinee using it often aces
 the electronic part.  It comes close enough to the Exam tolerances to satisfy
 them but it still produces audible inaccuracies.  I would consider a tuning
 done with an FAC program that is not aurally verified and corrected to be
 flawed enough as to be mediocre at best.  Dr. Sanderson has never claimed it
 to be perfect and has always recommendeed aural verification.

In my admittedly not-so-humble opinion, the FAC program is good in one
 particular instance:  When some red-faced, white-lipped, scowling, left-hand-
 on-the-hip,  right-hand-index-finger-pointing person insists that you tune the
 piano after a beautiful Historical Temperament recital, performance or
 demonstration:

The FAC program alone will be satisfactory way to ruin a good tuning, no aural
 verification will be necessary.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison,WIsconsin