tuning methods and standards

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 00:34:57 -0400

I would very much like to see a tune-off using Wurlitzer consoles.

My money would be on Jim Coleman for this one.  If you can get a uniform
rate of increase/decrease on your M3rds on an unfamiliar piano relying
on an old school fourths/fifths temperament in a reasonable amount of
time, I'll eat my hat! (to use an old school expression).

M3rd/m3rd is NOT the test for a fifth that we used to think it was.
Check your coincident partials.

Jack Sprinkle, a self proclaimed 'wah-wah' tuner, used to give tuning
concerts at NOVA tech sessions years ago.  His pianos sounded great.
BUT, a beginning tuner would have found it very difficult to tune to his
standards using his methods.  The
scientific understanding that we now have allows a far greater number of
us to tune to Jack's standards than was the case when he was learning
his trade.

Here's another tune-off that you can do yourself.  Tune a temperament
aurally using all the left strings, then one using only the middle
strings, then the right.  Pull the temperament strip and measure each
unison.

Carl