Tonal & Atonal

dpitsch dpitsch@ix.netcom.com
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 00:24:35 -0600

TONAL = music that is centered around one note, called the tonic.  Most of
the music written in the Baroque,Classical, & Romantic periods are in
major/minor keys and considered to be tonic/dominant centered.  Most of the
music prior to the Baroque period is considered modal (as in Gregorian
Chant) , although it usually centered around a tonic, but was in one of the
7 "Church modes" two of which are what we call major and minor.  Tonal
implies Western culture music.

ATONAL = absence of tonality.  Or in other words, music that is not
centered around a tonic (serial composition, 12 tone row, pantonality,
polytonality)  Music began to be considered atonal towards the end of the
1800's, continues on into the 1900's.