Tonal & Atonal

VOCE88@aol.com VOCE88@aol.com
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 06:00:52 EDT

<< I have posted this question on the Piano-L list as well.
 I would like to hear (in your own words) the definition of these two
 terms:

 Tonal & Atonal. >>

Hmmm..........Good question, Greg. I would say that tonal music uses a modal
center and although that center may change constantly, we have a feeling that
there is a "tonic". (Not necessarily a major/minor thing though)

Simply put, atonal music lacks that "tonic" feel. It includes serial music and
anything written by The Smashing Pumpkins. (just kidding)

Richard Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co
1 800 394 1117