Palm Pilot revisited

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 09:32:50 -0400

Dan, first I apologize for the earlier reply. The devil made me show off like
that <g>. I did get the S&S job, however! To spare bandwith, I'll keep this
reply short. In a private post, I'll send you an analogy to your current
method.

Summary first: The PDA eliminates duplication of effort, saving time and
increasing accuracy and efficiency.

Highlights:
. one-button updates of client data on 'big-puter' = THE main reason =;
. a learning curve suited for my increasing age and decreasing brain cells;
. a repository for many things things that no longer take up space in those
brain cells;
. replaced need to print new hardcopy for every client following every
appointment;
. replaced a separate appointment book;
. replaced a separate note pad and ToDo list;
. read/respond to E-mail, play Solitaire, or read a Sherlock Holmes mystery
during coffee breaks;
. saves a lot of paper, ink and related costs;
. replaced a calculator for estimates, percentages, other;
. [can] replace scientific calculators for higher-order ciphering;
. [can] replace tuning fork for pitch reference (stops the lights dead on
SAT -
but sawtooth waveform on a piezzo driver leaves a lot to be desired);
. alarm(s) alert me if I'm about to be late for appointments;
. incredible battery life;
. large 3rd party accessory and software offerings;
. a diverse, active user base, equal in numbers only by the annual income of a
Micro$oft employee;
. supported by a responsive, understanding company (according to reports);

I now carry my tool case, one invoice, and the Pilot into homes. The paper
jungle is essentially down to invoices. Since clients still seem to want
these,
I'm currently exploring the possibility of printing invoices on site, using
the
PDA to drive a printer, and the onboard data to fill out the form. I'll
probably leave the printer in the car, however!

At 09:27 PM 6/8/98 -0400, you wrote:
>The discussion of schedulers cause me to look at the Palm Pilot. I
>currently type my daily schedukle into DayTimer organizer. Weekly I
>print out the entire month - or two months if the time is right. I have
>all addresses and phone numbers for the customers I'm to see that month
>at hand. It's easy to schedule anyone when in the field.
>
>Now the question - in what way does the PalmPilot have an advantage over
>this system.
>
>I guess my Scotch is showing. Before I plunks my money down, I'd like to
>have, if I may, the collective wisdom of the Palm Pilot users.
>
>Dan Hallett, Jr.RPT

Jim Harvey, RPT
harvey@greenwood.net