tuning methods and standards

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 17:45:44 -0400

David ilvedson wrote:

> I bet many, including dpitsch, would find that their unsurpassed
> temperment is different for each string...

I'll bet Dave Pitsch can do a pretty fair job just from reading a few
posts. . . . .

I think the assumptions anyone makes about tuning will affect
consistency.  If you believe that there is one best way to tune a
particular piano and then do your best to learn what proceedures will
give you consistent results, then you will be able to achieve results
that will satisfy both your most demanding clients and your peers.

If, on the other hand, you believe that your job is to place your idea
of a good sounding tuning on a piano, you will be more likely to feel
'free' to vary your concept of beauty at your discression.

Here's yet another tune-off.  Let's imagine four of us, picked at
random, each tuning a piano and then measuring each note.  If three turn
out to be in very close agreement with each other and the forth is off
in left field, the left fielder has not correctly solved the puzzle.

Carl