Inharmonicity in other instruments

Joe & Penny Goss imatunr@primenet.com
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 21:36:43 -0600

Don
Maybe one needs to consider that the bow would have a muting effect on the
string as long as the bow is in contact with the string damping the
overtones one can hear on a struck or plucked string. All instruments that
produce sound with a string should, I would think, exhibit the same stretch
of the overtones due to the termination points of their speaking lengths.
Ever kill the overtones on a wild bass string by putting a rubber mute on
the unwound segment?
Just my quasi
Joe

> From: Don <drose@dlcwest.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Inharmonicity in other instruments
> Date: Wednesday, June 10, 1998 9:07 PM
>
> Hi Robert,
>
> I was curious as I have heard that violins do not exhibit
*inharmonicity*.