Inharmonicity in other instruments

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 21:31:32 -0700

Robert,

I'm having difficulty understanding what you mean by "any frequency can
be excited in a resonant system." Don't the resonances of a string limit
the vibrational possibilities? I've always believed that stiffness was a
major contributing factor in inharmonicity; that, along with striking
the strings with hammers as opposed to plucking or bowing. What is it
exactly that produces the harmonics? Don't the hammers simply excite the
harmonics that result from the strings own "resonant structure?"

Also, could you point me toward some source material on this subject?
I've never been exposed to anything of this sort.

--
Thomas A. Cole RPT
Santa Cruz, CA