Restringing just the bass

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 07:28:32 -0400

If you are useing the same pins, only back them out 3/4 turn
to place the becket about 5:00.

Cut the new wire to length (4 fingers or a handy measure like
the Becket Tool :-).

Make the coil on a dummy pin. This is a pin which has the hole drilled
slightly larger and cut 1/4" below the hole. Also a slot is cut from the
bottom to the hole, this will allow the coil to be removed from the pin
quickly and without expanding. (This is a past List tip I received).

Install the coil on the old pin and a 3/4 turn brings you back to tension.
No need to listen if your wire is cut to the right length. This speeds up the
restringing procedure.

If you are replacing the pins, use a gun barrel cleaning brush in drill
to remove the glaze from the sides of the holes.

Tune,

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)