Restringing just the bass

Joseph Alkana jfa19@IDT.NET
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 13:16:04 -0400 (EDT)

At 08:43 AM 6/10/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Dear List,
>Unfortunately I have a client who had something spilled on the bass strings
>of her 10 yr. old Kawai GS-40.

Jeannie,
Lot's of good ideas have already been given, but I would like to add one
more thing for you to check. When you are doing the clean up on the
soundboard and/or bridge, don't forget to take a look at the aggraffes. I
had worked on a piano once that exhibited poor sustain. All my worrying
about downbearing, high tension damages from the piano's recent move from
Arizona to Washington, previous restringing by a "Steienway" tech under
warranty, etc. were all undone by Steve Brady in a matter of minutes. He
found lots of crud on the wires and agraffes that were attenuating the
speaking lengths. I sure looked foolish for not finding that problem but
learned a good lesson. So, since you will have a golden opportunity I
suggest you clean those agraffes well while you have the chance.

Joseph Alkana