Restringing just the bass

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 13:23:42 -0400

Rogerio,
I prefer the dummy pin to be cut 1/4" (6mm) below the hole.
This allows a coil to be made in tight quarters.
Also you only have to cut through a short distance,  as opposed
to the length to the tip of the pin;   to make the 'quick-slip' kerf.
Without this cut into the pin, you must expand the coil to get the
becket out of the hole; with the cut - the coil slides off the pin.

Drilling the hole slightly larger fascilitates winding larger diameter
bass string cores.

The pin only needs to be backed off 3/4 turn so that the becket
is at 5:00. This is a comfortable position for the new coil to be
installed and a 3/4 turn brings the string up to pitch.  That is, if
your wire was cut to four fingers.

For advanced coil making, ie: a splice; cut the wire at three fingers
(omitting the little finger). This will allow the slack of the splice to be
drawn-up and you come out with your becket at 3:00 (+/-).

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)