SAT & RCT-Virgil

Billbrpt@aol.com Billbrpt@aol.com
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 16:28:06 EDT

In a message dated 6/10/98 8:57:15 PM Central Daylight Time, DGPEAKE@aol.com
writes:

<< As to examiners using the FAC, I did not know is was allowable.  In my
 CTE experience, the only time I used the SAT for the master tune is to get
the
 A pitch electronically, shut it off and tune aurally.

 Dave Peake, RPT >>

This has come into practice. In the beginning ,not even the pitch was set
electronically.  Now the first tunings that are done to stabilize the piano
are FAC's and the CTE in charge often uses the FAC to put on a tuning that is
to be picked through note by note.  It could still all be done by ear and in
th end, the Master Tuning is still a completely aurally verified tuning.  In
essence, the SAT or RCT is used to "get it close", probably a little faster
than if the job were done strictly by ear.

When I had the job of reverifying the two pianos used for the Exams at the
University of Wisconsin, I used the old Master Tuning, which had been done in
1981, as the tuning which had to be aurally verified by a new committee.
After the new Master was complete,I ran the old one against it on the ExaminEE
page.  There were a few errors, but it passed as an Examiner trainee. ;-)

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin