DUMMY PIN

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 07:39:16 -0400

Rogerio,
A kerf is the name for the area of wood removed by any given saw blade.
The wider the blade, the wider the kerf.

'Quick-slip' is a term for the ability of this slot (kerf) in the pin to allow
the coil to be removed quickly.

My slot in the pin is made from the bottom of the cut-off pin_to_the hole.
Some techs make their slots coming down from the top_to_the hole.

As in my earier post, the top of the pin is 5/8" from the hole. The bottom
of the cut-off pin is 1/4" from the hole. Which would you rather hacksaw
through, 1/4" of steel or 5/8" of steel?

Once you have made the slot to the hole with a hacksaw, you may need to
widen the kerf (slot) to allow the becket to slide through. The width of the
hacksaw blade may not be wide enough for all wire diameters. This can be
done by working the blade in the slot more at an angle or if you cut  the slot
with a Dremel tool amd gringing wheel you would be ahead of the game.
Here again, which distance do you prefer to widen - 1/4" or 5/8"?

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)