shake, rattle & roll

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 13:36:23 -0400

Use your Imagination!  This piano will sound like a:
1] noisy bird
2] vacuum cleaner (try 2 or 3 vacuum cleaners running in unison at close
range)
3] TV being ignored
4] gang of fussy children
5] child learning to sing

I usually tell the kids they have to sit absolutely still and quiet so the
piano can talk to me.  It's just like being at the doctor's office when the
doctor has to listen your insides.  The little singers will get their
chance to sing with the piano when I'm done tuning, and the tools are put
back in their crib.  (You have to try to see things from a kid's
perspective.)

As for the adults, I try to explain to them that there is a lot more I have
to listen to within each note than just the note corresponding to the key,
and that I would appreciate as little extra noise as is possible.  If they
fuss over the idea, then I just tell them to use their imaginations as
above.  This almost always makes them stop dead-in-their-tracks in absolute
bewilderment.  "What do you mean by that?"  Once again, I try to explain
what I'm listening to, and how that is being interfered with by the noise
of something else.

Nowadays I can put up with a lot more noise thanks to a SAT.  Every once in
awhile, the noise proves too much for the SAT but that's pretty rare.  I
think the worst situations in recent times have been 1] a prominent rock
band warming up (they somehow thought that by being on the other side of a
thin black curtain they wouldn't bother me while tuning up guitars and
turning up the amplifiers) and 2] a heavy downpour on the tarp that
separated the piano from the elements at an outdoor festival.

Z! Reinhardt RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net