Duplex Tuning - mysteries and realities?

Alan W Deverell aland@casa.co.nz
Sat, 13 Jun 1998 10:33:18 +1200

I have been seeking a technical and practical clarification about the
DUPLEX question raised briefly on Piano-Tech last week.

Quite obviously the effect of Duplex on the note diminishes as the
proportion of speaking length to tuned string length becomes smaller
and the stiffness, MOE, of the strings themselves increases. Yet, I
have observed duplex wedges going well past points where I would have
considered any inducement to sympathetic resonance or harmonics would
have been identified let alone capable of being tuned!

The whole question of sympathetic resonance in strings between
hitch-pin and bridge and the value of Aliquot strings in Bluthner etc.
seems to be confused by inconsistency between manufacturers and Piano
people generally.

1) What do you believe are the merits, if any, in duplex ?
2) Should felt wraps be threaded through un-tuned bridge-to-hitchpin
strings on pianos without duplex wedges ?
3) Should Aliquot strings be removed from Bluthners ?
4) What desirable partials and/or un-desirable harmonics are excited
into these Duplexed areas.
5) How does a Duplexed string effect the practicalities of Tuning the
Piano itself ?
6) add more questions ..... ?

The following observations have been made by a UK corespondent and I
will be interested in comments from Technicians on Piano-Tech. Neither
my Bechstein C or Ehrbar have tunable duplex and there seems to be a
complete lack of definitive instructions for tuning the wedges on
Yamaha and Steinway etc.