Standing on shoulders

dpitsch dpitsch@ix.netcom.com
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 23:28:34 -0600

I would like to thank the many members of the list who responded to the
recent posts on tuning.  If anyone has been offended with what I wrote,
especially Virgil Smith, please accept my sincere apologies.

Some members of the list were kind enough to let me know that ETD or VTD
have gotten soooo gooood, that recently students have been passing the
PTG tuning exam using them.  Thank you, but this has been happening for
decades.  Is this a good thing to be happening?  Perhaps not, maybe so.
We all have stood upon the shoulders of tuners who have gone before us.
And I personally believe there is much that remains to be discovered,
both aurally and visually.  I do not think we are at the end of research
& development as far as VTD goes.  Kind of like, the more you know, the
more you realize what you don't know ...

Jim Coleman gave a very good history (June 8th) on ETD that does not
need to be added to.  But there were simultaneous developments happening
in the aural tuning department.  As the visual aides got better,  sort
of a synergy effect happened.  Some of you newer technicians may not
know this side of the story.  In the 1970's when the SOT was the hottest
ETD available, we heard the words  "contiguous intervals" being used
more and more.  Granted, at least one tuner wrote about using aural
contiguous interval checks at least as far back as the 1950's.  Even
before that perhaps.  But as the accuracy of the ETD improved, we began
to realize that contiguous interval checks were more and more
important.  Some of us were not happy with the 0.5 cent accuracy of the
SOT, so we modified them during the late 1970's, trying to get the
accuracy down to 0.1 cent.

We were getting closer to what aural tuners' limits are.  By 1978 many
tuners had agreed upon one thing, that the temperament octave could, and
should, be divided into contiguous major thirds, each having the same
cent spread.  Aurally it worked better,
changes in the temperament could be made with only four notes having
been tuned.  A far cry from the old circle of fifths temperament!  ETD
were getting close to being able to set this augmented triad by
measuring equal amount of cents.  Now we had a way both aurally and
visually to give the correct beat rates to each temperament we tuned,
whether it be a spinet or concert grand, poorly scaled or not.  By the
time the first SAT reached the market, around 1980, numerous temperament
systems using contiguous intervals both aurally and visually had been
designed.  We started learning phrases like "Direct Interval Tuning",
"Octave Division Temperaments", 2:1 versus 4:2 and 6:3 octaves.  You
won't find those phrases in Braid White's book!

As the accuracy of the ETD improved, in many respects, so did aural
tuning.  We could tune by machine, then listen and check by ear.  Or we
could tune aurally, then double check our work visually.  Students
learned faster.  Pros could  record an aural  concert tuning for
duplication at a later date.  Pitch raising became easier.  Tuning forks
became passe.  Many of us shortened the time it took to tune a piano.
The Certified Tuning Examination was born.  And so on ...

Now we are in the 1990's, with improvements in VTD coming more
frequently.  Has aural tuning become a dinosauer?   We continue to
advance electronically with our tuning aides, but can you still tune a
piano if your ETD or VTD goes dead?
How does a tuner know when the machine is malfunctioning?  Does your ETD
pick up the wrong partial in the bass, and you end up tuning the note a
third lower than it should be?  Can you achieve the same accuracy both
aurally & visually?  Do you know when your machine is listening to the
correct partial(s)?  How often are the notes checked aurally?  Does your
machine read that an octave in the high treble is in tune but your ear
tells you it is not?  Ever move your VTD around and get different
readings?  Which reading is the correct one?   Do you force your
machine's temperament upon a piano whether it works or not?  Are you
listening to the feedback the piano gives and tune each and every note
customized to the piano, the very best it can be?  How about a piano
where A-440 is dead on, but the other notes are way flat?  Don't be
surprised that your violin teacher has a tuning hammer and keeps A-440
in tune.  Or maybe the last tuner set all of his A's OK, but was so far
off on his temperament some fifths were beating wide instead of narrow.
If you only measured the A's on this piano, what a shock when you begin
to tune!  And which is better, to measure all of the A's or all of the
C's to calculate out "the best" tuning?   Interesting, questions, and
more questions ...