shake, rattle & roll

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Sat, 13 Jun 1998 01:26:52 -0500

----------
> From: Newton Hunt <nhunt@jagat.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: shake, rattle & roll
> Date: Friday, June 12, 1998 3:04 PM
>
> I have asked rock bands and other performers if they wanted the piano
> tuned or shall I leave it as is.  That usually gets their attention.
>                         Newton
>                         nhunt@jagat.com

Well that works sometimes, but for me it was always cat and mouse. (I
didn't want to loose the account) Once the noise really got unbearable,
and I wasn't getting anywhere unless I put my foot down, so I asked a
nearby stage hand, "Say, is there a time when it is less noisey, perhaps I
should try tuning then."
	"Yeah, talk to so and so, he is standing over there"  Well so and so who
was joshing with the house manager turned out to be Mr Big of the Stage
Hands Union.
	"How much time do you need Rich?"
	I was wondering how he knew my name as I fibbed, "Oh about 20 minutes"
	"No problem," he said.  "Hey guys, take twenty"
	There was a chorus of approval and one said, "All right, Mr Tuner, you
are our man".  That got me in real good with the Union.  But I always had
to put my best foot forward to keep it that way.

	Other times the tables turn and you become Mr. Mouse. (because  the cat
gets your tongue) Like the time a nice young gentleman (I was pretty sure
I recognized him) walked over and said, "Ah, the piano tuner, What's your
name?"
	"Dick" I replied, "Uh, Richard Moody"
	"Richard" he replied, "Pleased to meet you" and held out his hand, "My
name is John, John Denver.  We have to do a sound check right now, could
you come back and finish up after we are done?"
	This is the time to  "say all your well learned politesse"...So I
stammered something, and took my que.
	Exit stage left, and there was Bill Graham's stage manager... who handed
me a meal ticket.

Richard Moody
	6-13