Piano = Pet + Car Continued

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Sun, 14 Jun 1998 14:13:41

Thanks, Zen.

<snip>
>As far as I am concerned, Music is like any other art --  a very personal,
>highly subjective form of expression.  How it speaks to each of us
>emotionally is very much an
>individual matter despite its close relationship to mathematics.  The job
>of the piano is to reproduce the feeling of the music as well as play the
>notes.  There are individual difference between pianos much like there are
>individual differences in how different dogs will perform the same trick.
>
>No doubt many of you will have questions and further insights about this.
>All I'm trying to do is to get the customer thinking about just what the
>piano might be all about to their families in its role as a music educator.
> What it takes to help it fulfil its role is what the car+pet analogy is
>all about.  It is always my hope that it is a a member of the family
>capable of teaching family values such as patience, practice,
>perserverence, and so on.  Pianos take maintenance, yes, but they should be
>able to give back love.
>
>Z! Reinhardt RPT
>Ann Arbor  MI
>diskladame@provide.net

I think they reflect the love that is given them, better than practically
anything else that doesn't breathe and eat. They certainly seem to be the
most alive inanimate objects around!

For instance, one day when I had removed an upright action the owner
noticed how the piano echoed any noise in the vicinity. It's quite a
ghostly, intriguing sound. She asked, "What's it _saying_?" I told her,
"It's saying, 'Bring it back! Put it back in! I _NEED_ it!!"

Susan

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"Anybody who behaved normally all of the time would not be completely normal."
			--Ashleigh Brilliant