WAS Re: Tune-off

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Sun, 14 Jun 1998 20:35:30 -0400

Dan M. Hallett, Jr. wrote:

> Dear Frank:
>
> In our locl nespaper this week was an article stating the sale of pianos
> went up last year - this was just new instruments. For this to make our
> local newspaper (Meadville, PA) means something, somewhere must be
> happening - or perhaps they just needed to fill a blank spot with an
> inoffensive article:).
> Dan Hallett, Jr. RPT

Hi, Dan!

I think the article is correct. Piano sales are increasing.  This may be
a good trend...maybe it will return to the sales levels of the late
'70s.

It coud be due to the GREAT economy we are now experiencing.  Things are
so tight here, that ANYONE can go into computer work.  One company here
is sending new inexperienced hires to the local comm. college for free
training!

I've only been a full-time tech for 3 years and part-time for about 4
years.  I have not seen the likes of the recession we had here in
'88-'92 or so. When the next one comes, I don't know what to expect as
far as piano work.

What I find most interesting is that most of the painos I see are the
ones baby boomers had as kids.  They are often in poor shape, but these
folks can't afford a new piano.

How is it that their parents with much less buyng power could afford a
new paino and the boomers cannot?

Thanks for your comments, Dan. See you soon.
--

Frank Cahill
Associate Member