FW: Tuning Duplex

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sun, 14 Jun 1998 23:12:28 -0500 (CDT)

--snip--
>I don't think tuners touch them here either. I think (mind I say I
>think) on some pianos they are fixed in the sense that there are
>locating lugs on the wedges that fit into holes in the frame. On
>others (e.g. Fazioli) they are definitely adjustable. I suspect no-
>one except a Fazioli technician knows how to adjust these.

*No offense, but this is exactly the kind of Voodoo thinking I'd like to see
banished for all time. 'Adjustable' aliquots exist on Steinways, Mason and
Hamlins, and a couple of dozen other makes of pianos which I'm sure a lot of
the folks on this list could name. In fact, I'd like to see someone produce
a 'Fazioli tech' possessed of whatever mystical knowledge (presumably
different than that which the lesser, or alternately enabled, (non Fazioli)
techs possess) is necessary to lay hands on the sacred object. I'd like to
compare these secrets from the book of Fazioli with the basic physical
requirements of the rest of the piano world. I suspect we would find that
physics works the same in an industry icon as it does in an industry joke,
if to better effect. This could be quite enlightening if anyone would
believe what they saw. - Sorry about the rant, nothing personal. I'll try to
be good.

>>The closer the bars are to the speaking length, the higher the pitch. Is
>> this correct?
*Yes.

>> Does anyone know how I could determine how these should be set?
>If the settings are being doubted, I would refer to the manufacturers
>for advice on that particular model. This I think is why some pianos
>have fixed duplexes.
*In a manufacturing environment, relative plate/bridge placement is not
nearly precise enough to produce an accurately 'tuned' duplex string segment
from a fixed plate/aliquot relationship. If anything, the adjustable aliquot
has a better chance, albeit slim, of producing a truly 'tuned' duplex.

>> It's one of those questions I've never heard a
>> definitive answer to.
>> My question is about the rear duplex 'bars'.
>> Is there a way to tell if they've been repositioned correctly?

>Again, ask the manufacturer.
*Yes, do. I would be fascinated to hear what they have to say.

 Ron