What would YOU do?

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 10:01:19 +0000

Hi Clyde,
    This man is likely afraid of technicians messing up his piano so he
never services it.  I would build trust gradually by doing only tuning
and essential repairs on the first visit.  Explain before tuning about
the risks of breaking strings he has caused by not keeping his piano
regularly tuned and that the tuning will be slightly less stable this
first time.  This will also protect you from investing too much incase
he causes trouble and if any strings break.   Show him the other needed
work and its' benefits and if he wants to do it, leave that for a future
visit a few weeks later.  At that time you can touch up the tuning after
it is done responding to the pitch raise.  If he sees the importance of
servicing his piano regularly and that you are interested in protecting
his investment he will become a loyal customer.  Provide him with the
PTG brochure, "How often should my piano be serviced?" Kawai is quoted
in there.
-Mike Jorgensen RPT