DGPEAKE@aol.com DGPEAKE@aol.com
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 23:57:43 EDT

<<
 James,

 Is it the butt plates that are breaking or the rail itself? If it is chronic
 you may just have a case where the brass  has  "crystallized". I don't know
if
 this is a legitimate technical term for it but I don't know any other way to
 explain it except that the brass has changed it's molecular structure and has
 weakened. Or somewhere another tech has over-tightened the screws weakening
the
 brass. If it is the rail you may have to have the brass rail duplicated. I
 don't know who does this anymore-anyone else???

 You might also be able to get by with the brass rail flange/plate repair
clips
 sold by Apsco or Schaff. They have proven indispensable for me many times. I
 keep a couple dozen of the different types in my parts bin at all times. Good
 Luck.

 BTW, maybe someone can explain why stainless steel has not been used in this
 type of application (I haven't seen it used anyways) besides being more
costly
 than brass, perhaps??? Del?? any others??

 Regards,
 Greg Torres

I have had poor luck in using the repair clips.  Having the rail duplicated is
a possibility, but I have seen good and bad results. Besides, how do you
travel the shanks?

The best method is to convert to wood, but you would have to replace the
butts, shanks, and hammers, and in the case of Kimball upright, the damper
lever and flanges as well.  It is a more spendy method, but not very hard to
do. I have done one and it came out remarkably well.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland, OR