Brass rails again

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 07:50:36 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Greg,

I don't know of, or can think of, anything that would work practically on
the continuous brass rails. The worst problem I always had were with
Billings flanged butt replacements. As purchased from supply houses, they're
hopeless. Years back, in a fit of pique and desperation, I made a little
tool that slides in and straddles the flange in an installed butt (it's not
as interesting as it sounds). I can then twist the flange to point the shank
arc in the approximate direction of the string. It works fine if I'm careful
not to mis-position it and trash the bushing. I suspect that the continuous
brass rail configuration was never really expected to work. Maybe it was
intended as an entry in the 'innovative design' category of a national trade
show (probably won an award), or a means of disposing of a whole lot of
brass stock that 'fell off a truck' and found it's way into the
manufacturer's warehouse (Vinnie-Ware).

Then again, how about one long continuous centerpin per section, with the
butts threaded on like popcorn and gang clamped to the rail with the flange
plates? That ought to help individual alignment problems, as well as vastly
enhancing future service entertainment prospects.

Sorry, not much help,

Ron

>Dear list,
>
>I have just finished installing a set of hammers on an old Baldwin
>vertical with brass rails and Schwander butts. I was looking for any
>clues to answer a question that has come up from a previous post. ( In
>fact, I believe I asked it  ;-))
>
>If traveling flanges is possible on this and similar actions how is it
>done???
>
>Thanks,
>Greg Torres

 Ron