aural tuning

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 07:49:43 -0700 (MST)

Hi everyone:

For several days I have let stand a statement with which I strongly
disagree:

> >Aural tuning by far is more accurate where as ETD gets you close.

I firmly believe that this statement can be proven false by a very
simple test. I think this test should be done sometime at a significant
technical meeting such as a convention. Here is how I would perceive the
test to be conducted.

A fine piano should be selected. A volunteer who espouses the above
statement tunes a piano twice after it has been detuned according to
the PTG test detuning procedures. The piano will then be read with a SAT.
Next, the piano is detuned again and the same procedure is followed again.
After the second round of tuning and measuring, I would propose that you
will find the results of the two readings to not be within .3 cents on
every note. If I am wrong, I will buy your banquet ticket at the next
Convention.

Now you all know that if I am wrong, I will take my licks, but in this
case I'm offering not only to eat humble pie, but to pay for it.

Jim Coleman, Sr.