ghost tones

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 08:32:55 -0700 (MST)

Hi Richard:

You asked for a definition of ghost tones.

The late george Defebaugh came up with the term (to the best of my
knowledge). When George and I used to team teach at conventions, I brought
up the technique of holding down two keys of an interval (to raise their
dampers) and then giving a short blow to the key which corresponded to the
location of the coincident partials of those two notes. The shock of the
bridge and soundboard system coupled with sympathetic resonance would cause
the respective partials of the two notes to be excited, thus producing an
easily heard beat between the two notes. To prove that the beat was indeed
coming from the two notes, if one key is released, the beat stops. If both
keys are released, the tone stops.

This technique can be used with any interval. The beat locator charts may
help the beginners in locating where the various coincident partials occur.

A significant point to made here is that there are more than one pair of
coincident partials for most intervals. In tuning 5ths in particular, it is
so easy to get faked out by the 2nd pair of coincident partials if one does
not pay attention. Likewise in M3rds, one can inadvertently be listening to
the 2nd coincident partials. In the case of minor 3rds, there are two
coincident partials which are only a minor 3rd apart. These can be
confusing. The Coleman beat Locator charts can be very helpful in this case.
This is not a commercial, you can make your own. That's what I did when I
invented the first one. Take a piece of cardboard about 2 feet long, place
the edge over the white keys next to the sharp keys. Mark on the cardboard
a half inch square above each of the following keys:

C28  C40  G47  C52  E56  G59  A#62  C64  D66  E68

Make a second card just like it, but a half inch narrower. These can then
be place above the keys at the back of the sharps and with the lowest
1/2" mark placed above each of the two keys of any interval, one can see
the keyboard locations where the partials of the two notes coincide. This
is where beats can be heard. Quite educational.

Jim Coleman, Sr.