Backchecking problem

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 14:42:46 -0400

> Re arcing the tails to acheive a real radius, rather than a flat spot,
will
> accomplish wonders..........sometimes.

If the tails are short and/or have a flat spot I have used Medium CA to
glue on an extra piece of wood to lengthen the tails and to reshape
without taking off a lot of wood, which will cause the felt of the lower
middle hammers to hang up on the backchecks.

I like to rake each shank off the reshape the tail, check the pinning
and check the knuckle and check the hammer shape and filing.

This is a lot of work but the end result is an action that can perform
like it was intended to.

                        Newton
                        nhunt@jagat.com