On to the Next Assignment

Bill Ballard yardbird@sover.net
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 23:15:07 -0400

I recently hooked up a 1-ton motorized hoist in my shop, a freebie from a
fellow chapter member who didn't have the necesary ceiling height. What to
do with the old hand-crank worm-gear hoist I bought from Sears 20 years ago?

My 92 year-old Father is in the final stages of prostate cancer(in hospice
phase since Feb), and earlier this winter he past the point of being able
to climb out of the big ole cast iron tub where he enjoys a good soak. My
two older sisters with whom I share caretaker duties on the weekend were
not able to help him by themselves.

Eureka! Hook the far end of the hoist around the curled edge of the rim
next to the wall, run the 1-1/4" nylon web strap across the tub and down
the other side where the housing with the crank hooks onto the claw foot
leg.  He now climbs into the tub (full of water), sits down on the web
strap, and cranks himself downwards, shifting occasionally to keep himself
centered as more strap feeds into the tub. The return trip is a tougher
crank, done either by the visiting nurse or otherwise caretaker. He enjoys
the ride and thanks to that he still enjoys a soak.

Bill Ballard, RPT
New Hampshire Chapter, PTG

"Four Sicilian sisters forced forsythia
  for Cynthia."