Verdigris on Steinway rails

Keith McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 22:43:35 -0500 (CDT)

>...It is my understanding that the green gunk
>comes from a reaction between the center pin and the felt. What is on the rail
>is just an "overflow" of that stuff. In other words, it wasn't "created
>there". So if you clean it, it will not come back, or reproduce on its own.
>
>Willem Blees  RPT
>St. Louis

If I read your explanation correctly, Wim, I'm afraid I can't swallow it.
The verdigris has to be a reaction of the brass rail itself and the rail
cloth that covers it.  There's no way that much verdigris creeped
(overflowed) from the hammer flange center pin and bushing cloth to the
rail.

Willing to be corrected by anyone,

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net