aural tuning ----confessions of a aural tuner.

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 08:19:30 +0000

Jim Coleman and List,
      I don't think your going to find a taker for this challenge.  If
you raise the prize from a free lunch to a free SAT 111 you might get
afew tries.  Don't worry though, none will win and get .3 cents on every
note--likely not even for an average of all notes.   I don't think I
can, as my degree of stretch likely varies with mood and my accuracy
declines with fatigue.  When I'm finished with these pianos, i'll
desperately need that SAT 111, as I'll be 100% insane and ready to
retire from aural tuning forever.
    I'm still an aural tuner because my stress in tuning is mostly
related to the technique side as opposed to the listening side, i'm not
convinced about the clarity and consistency of unisons with ETD, and
cost.  I have also wondered about the quality of the mic and its'
affect.  Consitency of temperament is likely better with ETD.  Another
concern is with older music teachers who still hold a negative view of
"machine tooners", but this is changing and so am I atleast at the
university.  For now, I'm staying 100% aural in the private sector as I
would hate to have to buy a new laptop every year so I can continue to
look "up-to-date" for my private clientle.
-Mike Jorgensen RPT