Standing on shoulders

Maxpiano@aol.com Maxpiano@aol.com
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 15:31:08 EDT

Carl-

I don't really think we have to set the "sweet" over against the "dry."

I've been tuning aurally for over 45 years and have a gaggle of customers who
claim the best and wouldn't go to anyone else unless I retire.  For my part, I
am only too aware that there are inconsistencies in my work.  I think I have
reduced them to an acceptable level, and that may account in part for my good
reputation; I think the balance of the reputation owes to lack of knowledge on
the customer's part, though it pains me to admit it.

My decision to acquire an ETD soon represents a change in my thinking.  In the
past I have agreed with customers who were critical of the efforts of
technicians who depended on one.  It seems to me that if an ETD would pinpoint
my inconsistencies (e.g., inconsistent stretch on octaves) and give me some
objective help in making them consistent, it would allow me to keep the sweet
in pursuit of the dry.  And in the process speed me through days when I am
tuning scads of pianos in an institution.

Just my thoughts.

Bill Maxim, RPT

<<
 We should be able to measure the 'sweet' tuning, compare it to the 'dry'
 technically accurate one, and determine what it is that makes the
 'sweet' one better . . . . IF we can all agree it's better.  If we
 agree, then that becomes the new model.