Fundamentals reply

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 21:18:03 -0500

Hi Bob,
I have done the same check with a number of pianos with much the same
results.  We evidently only think we are hearing the fundamental in these
low pitches.  I do not think the problem is in your "O".
James Grebe
R.P.T. of the P.T.G. from St. Louis, MO. USA, Earth
Piano Service and Piano Periperals
pianoman@inlink.com            May I listen as well as I hear.

----------
From: Unknown <rls@ncinter.net>
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Fundamentals
Date: Wednesday, June 17, 1998 9:03 PM

Dear list,
     This Sunday at our local chapter meeting we employed an RCT to analyze
the partials in the low bass on my 1911 S & S "O".  The graph showed
absolutely no fundamental on the lowest 1 1/2 octaves.  One of our members
who works at the local Story & Clark factory suggested that there might be
a problem with the downbearing at the back side of the bass bridge.  Keep
in mind that this piano had a new board and bridges installed by New York
Piano Center 3 years ago.  I always felt the low bass was very thin
sounding.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bob Sadowski
Erie, PA