Fundamentals

Wed, 17 Jun 1998 22:29:15 -0700

Dear Unknown Bob,

I don't know much about the capability of either the SAT or the RCT when it
comes to measuring the energy content of the fundamental frequency of these
notes. But, even with a very capable FFT analyzer, you won't find much in a
piano of this size and type. There are a number of reasons for this. The
condition of the soundboard and its design -- i.e., the way it was built, the
materials used, its ribbing, crown, etc. -- has something to do with it, but in
the case of the Model O, the design of the stringing scale and the plate are the
more likely culprits. (Design characteristics, I might add, that were faithfully
carried over to the Model L.) Indeed, most pianos of conventional design that
are less than approximately 185 cm (6' 1") to 190 cm (6' 3") aren't going to
have much energy at the fundamental frequency in their acoustic wave envelope.
Their scales, string layouts and soundboards just aren't designed to produce it.

However.... We recently completed a non-descript 178 cm (5' 10") grand on which
we have done some major modifying. It has quite a good bass section for a piano
of this size. I got the sound I was after by designing a new stringing scale for
the bass section, shortening the speaking length at the bottom end by something
over 50 mm. This did require designing and fabricating a new bass bridge, but
the process was not particularly difficult and the results have been quite
satisfying. (I also played some games with the soundboard and rib design, but
that's another story.) We're now doing a similar modification on a Model O. It
won't be finished for a few more weeks, so I can't yet comment on how it will
sound. Should be quite good, however.

Del