Aural/ETD

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 07:38:51 -0500 (CDT)

Hi T. Ayers,

I'm 'Anon'. I don't know why Jim asked permission to post and then didn't
credit. Jim??? (It's OK, I ain't mad)

Whatever, the very fact that the final validation of any tuning method is
the 'subjective impression' of the listener kind of takes the bite out of
the 'true control of your tuning' stand doesn't it? It seems to me that the
piano, and the usage requirements define the tuning parameters at least as
much as we tuners do. It's like the old Phyllis Diller line about the ruined
old woman who goes into a beauty shop and says 'Just make me beautiful'.
Methinks, perhaps, the tuner doth presume too much, too often.

Ron

>In a message dated 6/17/98 6:42:33 PM, Jim Bryant and Anon wrote:
>
>><<"Hmmm, maybe that's the ultimate charm of aural tuning...
>>absolution through lack of absolute verification. It's funny how the comfort
>>of ignorance vanishes with the right question. <8-\ ">>
>>Anon
>
>No IMHO the "ultimate charm" of aural tuning is true control of your tuning
>and
>also a sense of accomplishment.
>
>Once when I was on the road opening for the band "Toto".  While tuning a cp70
>for my band,  there was an ETD tuner from Pro Piano LA,  who was in a panic.
>"What do I do, David Paitch wants these intervals (10ths and 17ths) to sound
>warmer "?
>I said maybe try slowing down your 10ths and 17ths a little,,  He did'nt have
>a clue as to what I was saying.  But we went back and forth a little talking
>in two languages auraleze and ETDeze  and agreed less stretch.
>
>As for "Absolute verification",??,,,,,, How can something subjective be
>absolute ?
>
>T,Ayers
>Pianosrv@aol.com

 Ron