soundboard drying/moisture meters

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iamerica.net
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 16:07:03 -0500

Thanks Del.  I see that now.  My shop is kept in the 40's RH normally.
(Quite a feat in Louisiana) This piano has had (in the shop) the DH rods
w/H-2 installed, but I don't think it's kicked on because the shop is so
dry.  What RH/MC is ideal to repair cracks?  I am not replacing soundboards
yet-just Spurlock shims.  I believe 42%RH is 8%MC?  So about 6-7% is good
to expose cracks and route out?  I know you usually replace the board.
Thanks for the help.

A discussion on getting customers to spring for new soundboards would be
helpful, too.  I have a hard time (as do others) finding people to spend
over $6-7,000 to restore pianos.  I'll be in the soundboard classes in
Providence.  Thanks again.

Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter
Covington, LA.
lafargue@iamerica.net

----------
> From: Delwin D Fandrich <pianobuilders@olynet.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: soundboard drying/moisture meters
> Date: Thursday, June 18, 1998 10:05 AM
>
> Lance,
>
> I've not personally used any of the pinless moisture meters; I have used
the pin
> type. That's what we use in our shop. But...
>
> None of these meters measure accurately below 6% or so. Even at 6% the
readings
> get a bit shaky. For soundboard work you're better off storing these
things in a
> temperature & humidity controlled room and monitoring both the
temperature and
> humidity. From these numbers you can determine the moisture content of
the wood
> stored under these conditions. We maintain ours so the the EMC is a
consistent
> 6% to 6.5%.
>
> Del

> Lance Lafargue wrote:
>
> > Dearest List,
> > I am shopping for a decent moisture meter that will give me more
control
> > over my woodworking and soundboard repairs.  Any suggestions on
reasonably
> > priced/reasonably accurate meters?  Pin or pinless?  Does it matter?
I've