Aural/ETD

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 16:39:04 -0500 (CDT)

Exactly my point. Meeting an existing set of subjective requirements is NOT
autonomy, whatever the tuning method. We're just filling orders, to a very
real degree. Some, granted, do it to the enhancement of the endorphine mix
in their clients' brains, and some do not. Which is the tuner with the most
freedom of choice, the one who ignores the constraints of temperament,
unison clarity, and stretch and does whatever moves him at the moment, or
the one who consistantly produces technically good solid tunings within the
extremely narrow limits inherent to the process? We may all be artists, but
we're mechanics first. What I'm saying here is that a good tuner is going to
be doing pretty much the same thing whatever tools, aids, crutches, and
dodges he/she chooses to use to do so. A bad tuner will, quite likely, be a
less bad tuner with an ETD, but he/she will not be a good tuner until he/she
learns what makes a good tuning.

Ron

>In a message dated 6/18/98 12:47:42 PM, you wrote:
>
>>'subjective impression' of the listener kind of takes the bite out of
>>the 'true control of your tuning' stand doesn't it?
>
>I say the aural tuner can control the tuning to satisfy the subjective
>listener,  one listener/customer at a time of course.
>
>Tom Ayers

 Ron