Dealing with small children

Lwellerrpt@aol.com Lwellerrpt@aol.com
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 23:23:36 EDT

Hello, List-

I enjoyed the topic of shake, rattle & roll.  That inspired this post.

I often tune in homes with small children.  Many times the mother or baby-
sitter leaves the children in the room with me.  Once a woman even left her 6
month old baby propped up with a pillow on a blanket on the floor near me and
went out to the backyard to trim the hedges.  The baby amazed me by being very
quiet for 1/2 hour.  He finally spoke up when he fell over into a position he
couldn't get out of.  I called her in and she just came in and made sure he
was ok and went out again.  I left that house very angry.  I actually tore up
her file card.

Usually, I show the children a little about the piano, reminding them when
they start playing the keys while I'm tuning that "It's my turn right now."
(S.Kline- with me it's always the treble keys because I'm a lefty)   I promise
to show them how to play something if they're really young, or to listen to
them play when I'm done.

This is what I show the little kids:   I ask them if they know the story of
Goldilocks and the three bears.  Then I go to the keyboard, moving the bench
out of the way... "This is the Papa bear song." (lowest A ding ding ding.)
Have them toddle up to the middle... "This is the Mama bear song " (middle C
ding din ding)  Toddle some more to the treble...And this is the Baby bear
song! (highest C ding ding ding)
My mother surprised me by teaching this to my son when he was 18 months old.
He was so proud.  Very cute.

If the children are just hanging out (and making noise) because they feel
obligated to watch me, I tell them about my collection of drawings other
children have made for me of their pianos.  Then I ask them if they'd like to
draw me a picture of the piano in their house.  I have some great ones.  I've
never had a kid say no to drawing a picture yet.  After the drawing is done,
that usually distracts them enough to keep them out of the room.

Lisa Weller, RPT
Los Alamitos, CA
Southbay Chapter