Puzzler

David ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 09:28:58 +0000

Dear List,

Puzzler...

Feurich Grand, 6'6".  Customer complains of clatter when
playing.  He demonstrated by just pushing a handful of keys down
a bit and releasing them and what a noise.  The noise from key
release was very noisy, well beyond what we might live with.  I
pulled the action and didn't find anything in the piano like
pencils etc.  The former dealer tuner, who had been taking care
of the piano since the sale of a few years before, had not been
able to fix the problem and in desperation had moved up the
hammer rest rail so the the hammers were resting on the rail.  I
moved the rail down and checked the blow distance...that was OK.
No difference in the clatter.  I was stumped until I noticed
something with the hammer, shanks & flanges up.
Any ideas about what I had to do to fix the problem...

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA
ilvey@jps.net