Twist again, etc.

nobody4u@alone.com nobody4u@alone.com
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 20:43:11 -0700

I appreciate your quote from Phillips, Keith, but I still have some
questions. He says "locate it(the humidistat) level with the music desk
by #1 bass string". There doesn't seem to be any choice, as far as I can
tell. There is just room for a humidistat attached to the inside of the
rim nearest string #1 and, presumably, as close to the action cavity as
possible. I guess if I were doing such an installation, I would mount it
upside down to expose the vents as closely as possible to the action
cavity. The top edge of the humidistat would be about level with the
music desk. I can't see any other possibility.

I've never tried this. Has anyone else had any experience with this
installation? If so, how effectively does it work? The suggestion of an
8 Watt rod seems prudent. I don't think it would matter if the rod is
attached to the case sides or the action. There isn't much room for it
and only one choice of location. If it is attached to the action, it
wouldn't have to be separately removed every time the action came out.

 I guess I can see how I would go about it, if the need ever arose. I
hope this discussion helps in the case sited. Aside from the problem of
the warping hammer shanks, a complete Dampp-Chaser would be in order for
the soundboard which must be suffering the same stress as the hammer
shanks.

Bob Anderson
Tucson, Az