Brass Rails

Mon, 22 Jun 1998 14:59:48 -0500

At 12:05 6/22/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Gregory Torres wrote:

>I have heard that if you anneal brass (heat it to some temperature and
>let it cool slowly), this cures the brittleness

>> BTW, maybe someone can explain why stainless steel has not been used in this
>> type of application

The metallurgists on the list surely can supply hardness numbers, but my
guess is that the brass being softer than the centerpin does at least two
things.

Since ductile is opposite of brittle...
1.  Flange will slightly mold itself around pin, affording a more secure
clamping.
2.  Being softer, it would also be quieter if flange is slightly loose.

No facts to back me up, just some idle thoughts.
Anybody who actually knows something wanna jump in?

Conrad

Conrad Hoffsommer		Office - (319) 387-1204
Luther College                         Music Dept Fax - (319) 387-1076
700 College Drive
Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045             hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu

Ignorance doesn't kill you, but it will make you sweat a lot. - Haitian proverb