Crown,

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 08:43:15 +0000

Hello all,

    Of my bunch of Baldwin Ls,  #141142 is my favorite and shows ZERO
crown on the board and a crack. This L has good hammers and a powerful
tone throughout its' scale and an astounding bass.  I have heard that
bass tones improve when crown is lost.  This makes me wonder why we
worry so much about crown, especially in smaller sizes where the bass
would seem the ruling grade in the quality.

-Mike Jorgensen

Method I used for checking crown-- I stretch a thread along the board
next to the longest rib and look for space between thread and board.