Lacquer or Sanding Sealer Specifications

David ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 09:32:55 +0000

A good friend/piano technician of mind prefers a production
lacquer for hardening  hammers.  He says it doesn't get as hard
as top quality lacquers which he likes...for what its worth.

> John;
>   Any  'Good'  quality laquer will suffice. Use gloss laquer as it contains no
> sterates for dulling the finish.  I prefer not to use sealer for hammer work
> as it contains sterates which will be filtered out in the top layers of the
> hammer, much as keytop material is.
>   If the object of treating hammers is to build up the base felts resistance
> than any materials left on the surface will not add to resistance in the sub
> surface.
> Jim Bryant (FL)

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA